Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Hot, Hot Wall!


The west facing wall of the house gets intense heat in the afternoon from the summer sun. This makes for a very warm room. I needed shrubs that can take the heat of the hot Arizona summer. Tacoma's work very well in our heat. I used the Tacoma Stans "Gold Star" for height on either side of the window. They will reach a mature height of around 8 feet. That will give good height coverage to the open wall. 

I added TacomaXS "Sierra Apricot", a dwarf variety under the window. These will reach a height of around 4 feet. I alternately planted Desert Ruellia. Again these will only reach about 4 feet. In front of these I mixed in Ruellia carpet for a ground cover. It has a dainty blue flower. 

Although they have only been in for a few weeks, they have already grown. They are on their second bloom cycle. By next summer I am sure this hot wall will not be so hot anymore.  The decorative blocks were placed in front of the bubblers and the tortoises and turtle like to burrow behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment