Thursday, September 30, 2010

Watch Me Grow!..

The first time I saw Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine was in Chicago a few years ago. They were planted in containers, down Michigan Ave. in the center planters and in the parks. I fell in love with this plant and knew I had to use them in my gardens. I found it in Arizona the next spring and have been planting sweet potato vines ever since. This ground cover / vine comes in a variety of colors -lime green, burgundy and a gray/pink variety. The sweet potato vine is a terrific plant for our spring thru fall in Arizona.  It grows crazy in the heat. You can almost watch them grow. Does not necessarily like the full sun, it does better in a protected spot.  I started with three, 4in. plants in this container. It will crowd out any other plants planted with them, so use caution if mixing it with your favorite flower. The colors mixed together make quite a statement. When the temperatures get too cold I will remove them, plant some geraniums and wait until next summer to replant.  Finally, something we can enjoy during the heat of the Arizona summer.
Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment